It’s hard to believe this is my 100th blog post. What started out as an exercise of sorts has become a consistent journaling practice which has given me more confidence in making financial decisions, and an overall sense of greater agency. Whether this is reality I have no idea, but I’m liking it and I’d highly recommend it. I’d also like to thank the people that have engaged with me; I’ve found a lot of purpose talking through some of the obstacles you’re facing, and have become curious in many different areas.
For the big 100 I find myself a bit flabbergasted and questioning some of my numbers. I’ve become a bit transfixed on Zillow’s Zestimates. The Zestimate for my primary residence was much higher than what our house just appraised for. That puts a thorn in my plans, as I wanted to pull out a lot of cash. We may try to alter the lender’s view. We were unfortunately ripping up our pool liner when the appraiser was here so the backyard was in poor shape. Hopefully I can get them to move the value with updated pictures of the pool and taking a closer look at what homes they used for comparables. With that let’s get to the numbers!
10-day BS Refresh
The Opening NW in the 8/31/2021 column is the closing NW from the 8/20/2021 column. The green numbers represent estimated changes to my net worth in those categories (green numbers in 8/31 column are the changes that I estimated on 8/20). The white “Gain from” rows show how the actual numbers turned out compared to my original estimates, ten days prior.
- I’ve made some money at my day job
- Reading Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, fantastic book so far
- The Brothers on Books Podcast with Chris Naugle where we discuss the infinite banking concept
- Got some good feedback on my books, and even got another Amazon review
Ideas for increasing NW/Learning
- Revisit Tax Liens
- Start analyzing how affiliate programs really work
- Instead of relying solely on Amazon to sell my book I’m thinking to sell the books on my website as well.
- Tell one person per day about The Brothers on Books Podcast
- Rent car out on Turo
- I thank you for reading the post and if you liked it I hope you’ll subscribe to my email list. If you think someone may benefit from its information please pass it along. I want to help people and like interacting with people attacking this goal.
- If there are any topics you’d like me to research and report back on please let me know!
- If you want the excel workbook that I use to help me track just message me at email@example.com. I’m also happy to go through any calculations.
- Make Better Bets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0893K72LZ?pf_rd_r=34RMC5D4WCM4606VD3PE&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
- 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam: https://www.amazon.com/15-Weeks-Pass-Actuarial-Exam/dp/1734895632/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jack+allweil&qid=1601417120&sr=8-2