Hallo, it’s Halloween and I’m going to have to not be scared seeing my overall net worth go down for the next weeks/months until I get a new traditional job or other residual streams, like rental properties and books.
I’m sorry for the short update but I need to get back to studying. My last actuarial exam, fingers crossed, is Wednesday. I’ve been getting to Starbucks at like 5:30 everyday this week, as I’m back in the US but still on European time, and getting at least six hours of studying in. I’m definitely learning a lot. While I complain a lot about these exams I’m starting to appreciate some of the ways that numbers describe business.
10-day BS Refresh
So not only did my net worth go down in nominal terms but the value of a Bitcoin went up pretty significantly. The last eleven days it went up about 20%.
I’m very happy to report I had my first 30 day window of $100 in income from book sales. All the money came from 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam. If I can keep that up it’s a tremendous win. It’s basically the profit I strive to at least profit for a rental property, with no debt. I would say also no effort as well but I want to devote a lot of time, at least initially, selling this to students and universities in bulk. So far I’ve done very little promoting. I find this very promising. One side effect that I’ve enjoyed is many people from all around the world have messaged me about taking the exams. Today I spent a bit talking to a guy in the West Bank even, small world.
The Opening NW in the 10/31/2020 column is the closing NW from the 10/20/2020 column. The green numbers represent estimated changes to my net worth in those categories (green numbers in 10/31 column are the changes that I estimated on 10/20). The white “Gain from” rows show how the actual numbers turned out compared to my original estimates, ten days prior. My stock market predictions have been absolutely atrocious. This virtually always is what causing the crazy volatility in my actual net worth compared to what I had predicted.
The last ten days saw a dramatic move north in Bitcoin, almost clipping 14k. Since March I’ve put about 11k into it and I’ve decided to take some off the table, selling about 4k. I still have about 16k worth of Bitcoin and will buy more if it dips below 12k.
The 10th of the month is all about loan paydown! After my November Michigan payments I will just have $3,742 to pay in December and that will be that. $55k paid off in two years.
Ideas for increasing NW
- Start analyzing how affiliate programs really work.
- Didn’t reach out to 20 universities about my book, 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam, the past ten days but did spread the word to multiple actuarial groups. I’m also scheduled to give a presentation to the incoming actuarial students at UNC-Charlotte mid-November.
- Al and I are getting closer at uploading our podcast, The Brothers on Books Podcast:
- I thank you for reading the post and if you liked it I hope you’ll subscribe to my email list. If you think someone may benefit from its information please pass it along. I want to help people and like interacting with people attacking this goal.
- If there are any topics you’d like me to research and report back on please let me know!
- If you want the excel workbook that I use to help me track just message me at email@example.com. I’m also happy to go through any calculations. I don’t charge anything!
- Make Better Bets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0893K72LZ?pf_rd_r=34RMC5D4WCM4606VD3PE&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
- 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam: https://www.amazon.com/15-Weeks-Pass-Actuarial-Exam/dp/1734895632/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jack+allweil&qid=1601417120&sr=8-2