I’ve seen Zillow as a mighty good friend since I started recording these but this was the first time that Zillow did me dirty… The seven unit that we just purchased went down on Zillow. When I say down I don’t mean a little down but lost over 50% of its previous value. Now this could be a mistake as one of the other properties, in a less good neighborhood, went up about 50%. I keep reminding myself though that as long as the renters pay it doesn’t really matter because it’ll cashflow and we planned on holding this for a very long time.
Speaking of renters paying. The transition has gone a bit rougher than I would have liked/expected. The first three properties I purchased I did not reach out to any of the tenants and still have never spoken with them. The property manager has dealt with them the entire time, as he managed them for the prior owner. This time, for the seven unit, since there was going to be a transition from management I did elect to reach out and explain the situation to the tenants and who they’d be paying, and who to contact in case of a maintenance issue. I feel some of the tenants have used the transition as an excuse to not pay rent on time; four of the units as of now haven’t paid July rent. I’ll keep updates going on the transition and how we proceed. That being said, let’s get to the numbers 🙂
10-day BS Refresh
The Opening NW in the 7/10/2021 column is the closing NW from the 6/30/2021 column. The green numbers represent estimated changes to my net worth in those categories (green numbers in 7/10 column are the changes that I estimated on 6/30). The white “Gain from” rows show how the actual numbers turned out compared to my original estimates, ten days prior.
- I’ve made some money at my day job
- 26 people have downloaded the free version of Make Better Bets the last three days (not too shabby, and link below)
- We posted another episode of The Brothers on Books Podcast (Darwin’s Black Box is now on Apple and Google Podcasts and Man’s Search for Meaning is on Youtube)
- Reading Naugle and Kesler’s book on borrowing from whole life insurance policies, Mapping out the Millionaire Mystery
Ideas for increasing NW/Learning
- Revisit Tax Liens
- Start analyzing how affiliate programs really work
- Instead of relying solely on Amazon to sell my book I’m thinking to sell the books on my website as well. Should I just control the book sales in the same corporation as my real estate in Michigan?
- Tell one person per day about The Brothers on Books Podcast
- I thank you for reading the post and if you liked it I hope you’ll subscribe to my email list. If you think someone may benefit from its information please pass it along. I want to help people and like interacting with people attacking this goal.
- If there are any topics you’d like me to research and report back on please let me know!
- If you want the excel workbook that I use to help me track just message me at email@example.com. I’m also happy to go through any calculations.
- Make Better Bets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0893K72LZ?pf_rd_r=34RMC5D4WCM4606VD3PE&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
- 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam: https://www.amazon.com/15-Weeks-Pass-Actuarial-Exam/dp/1734895632/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jack+allweil&qid=1601417120&sr=8-2
- Journal: (Tape Name Here)’s Journal for (Tape Year Here): Reflect Towards an Intentional Life: Allweil, Jack: 9781734895643: Amazon.com: Books
- The Brothers on Books Podcast where we discuss Man’s Search for Meaning: Man’s Search for Meaning – The Brothers on Books Podcast – YouTube