Eventually one’s return on equity will level off and you’ll have to do something to amp it up. One could revamp their soccer model and bet money on the Euro 2020, postponed to 2021, tournament or one could buy a seven unit rental apartment using slight leverage. One is seen as more risky (perhaps) but more fun and the other seen as stable but not sexy. I have chosen to do both of these the past weeks and I will say the seven unit will be the ying to the Euro’s yang. My heart has had tremendous ups and downs while watching these soccer games, which my wife can attest to, and has me falling back on the thought that maybe I shouldn’t quite give up my day job for a life of high stakes sports gambling… But maybe there’s still hope for landlording. And with that let’s get to the numbers!
10-day BS Refresh
These last ten days are all about the acquisition of a seven unit. I purchased it with 25% down on an agreed upon purchase price of 259k. The current Zestimate, which I use to record the house values, is at 293k, which gives me a quick 30k in captured equity.
The Opening NW in the 6/30/2021 column is the closing NW from the 6/20/2021 column. The green numbers represent estimated changes to my net worth in those categories (green numbers in 6/30 column are the changes that I estimated on 6/20). The white “Gain from” rows show how the actual numbers turned out compared to my original estimates, ten days prior. My home in Charlotte continues to go on a tear contributing to that monster 18.7k above expectation in Gain from App/Dep.
Maybe not as diversified as I’d like but then again I just got married and she has some geldt too, which I’ve been asked not to share.
- I’ve made some money at my day job
- Posted a book give away on LinkedIn, trying to raise awareness of the actuarial goal journal
- I greatly revamped my sports analytics model. I posted some of the results on betisround.com. It’s been a great exercise in risk mitigation and a check on fear and greed.
Ideas for increasing NW/Learning
- Revisit Tax Liens
- Start analyzing how affiliate programs really work
- Instead of relying solely on Amazon to sell my book I’m thinking to sell the books on my website as well. Should I just control the book sales in the same corporation as my real estate in Michigan?
- Tell one person per day about The Brothers on Books Podcast
- I thank you for reading the post and if you liked it I hope you’ll subscribe to my email list. If you think someone may benefit from its information please pass it along. I want to help people and like interacting with people attacking this goal.
- If there are any topics you’d like me to research and report back on please let me know!
- If you want the excel workbook that I use to help me track just message me at email@example.com. I’m also happy to go through any calculations.
- Make Better Bets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0893K72LZ?pf_rd_r=34RMC5D4WCM4606VD3PE&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
- 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam: https://www.amazon.com/15-Weeks-Pass-Actuarial-Exam/dp/1734895632/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jack+allweil&qid=1601417120&sr=8-2
- Journal: (Tape Name Here)’s Journal for (Tape Year Here): Reflect Towards an Intentional Life: Allweil, Jack: 9781734895643: Amazon.com: Books