For those of you new to the blog, welcome! Every ten or so days I update my net worth and make a prediction for the next ten days. It’s been an amazing exercise and while you probably don’t have to do it every ten days the more you practice the more it’ll start to make sense and the more intentional I think you’ll end up being. If you want my spreadsheet please don’t hesitate to ask! The other posts are on topics that I think you will be interested in, whether it’s getting more of a handle on your expenses or, and more importantly, increasing your income through various income streams.
I launched my new actuarial goal journal, called 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam, about ten days ago and I’m starting to see some sales!
Those four sales translated into about $50 in sales, not too shabby:
On 10/8 I also started a free ebook promotion for my first book, Make Better Bets! The promotion is good for the next week so check it out. It’s about my Excel model that I used to bet the Russian World Cup two years ago. I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on it. The link to that promotion will be in the bottom notes.
With that let’s get to the juicy financials.
10-day BS Refresh
For those of you who are new to the blog I’ve been trying out different lenses to view my financial situation. I have below my net worth in terms of ounces of gold and number of bitcoins I’d be able to purchase, at respective spot prices. I’m also trying to work out a Jack’s Price Index, I’ll call it the JPI, that will be a basket of goods that I spend a lot of money on. Stay tuned for that.
Unfortunately I had to get a piece of my chimney and wall fixed which was a quick $2,600. This goes to show how valuable certain manual labor skills can be.
The Opening NW in the 10/10/2020 column is the closing NW from the 9/30/2020 column. The green numbers represent estimated changes to my net worth in those categories (green numbers in 10/10 column are the changes that I estimated on 9/30). The white “Gain from” rows show how the actual numbers turned out compared to my original estimates, ten days prior.
The big pop in stocks was actually from the quarter purchases in my employee stock purchase plan, where I get to buy company stock at a 15% discount. I totally forgot this was coming and I, over the quarter, had put away $1,800 to purchase stock. This is more liquid that typical company retirement accounts and if your company offers it I strongly encourage you to look into participating.
Ideas for increasing NW
- Start analyzing how affiliate programs really work.
- Didn’t reach out to 20 universities about my book, 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam, the past ten days but did spread the word to multiple actuarial groups. I’m also scheduled to give a presentation to the incoming actuarial students at UNC-Charlotte mid-November.
- Al and I are getting closer at uploading our podcast, The Brothers on Books Podcast:
- I thank you for reading the post and if you liked it I hope you’ll subscribe to my email list. If you think someone may benefit from its information please pass it along. I want to help people and like interacting with people attacking this goal.
- If there are any topics you’d like me to research and report back on please let me know!
- If you want the excel workbook that I use to help me track just message me at email@example.com. I’m also happy to go through any calculations. I don’t charge anything!
- Free ebook for Make Better Bets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0893K72LZ?pf_rd_r=34RMC5D4WCM4606VD3PE&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
- 15 Weeks to Pass an Actuarial Exam: https://www.amazon.com/15-Weeks-Pass-Actuarial-Exam/dp/1734895632/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jack+allweil&qid=1601417120&sr=8-2