My girlfriend and I took a long weekend to go to Bad Waltersdorf, which is about a 90 minute drive from Vienna. Most Americans would think the setup for this city is majorly bizarre but I can really see why people like living out there. There are big valleys filled with corn fields and scenic biking paths. We had one of the most epic bike trips cruising down mountains with valleys on both sides. Bad Waltersdorf is also known for the thermal water pools. Many retirees go there and enjoy great hiking and biking in the morning followed by relaxing in the pools and saunas in the afternoon. Now after working just on Thursday I’m writing to you from that same Viennese Starbucks, slightly tired but feeling refreshed that I just have one more working day.
Yesterday Al and I recorded our fourth episode of The Brothers on Books Podcast. We had our buddy Richard on it to discuss one of his favorite books, The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. We have decided to record one more before editing and posting them; We wanted to give listeners a good dose of the podcast to get feedback. If you would like to listen to some of the raw audio from any of the episodes please reach out and I can send them to you. We are also always interested in book ideas that people would like to hear discussed.
Musashi speaks on being flexible in one’s thinking and trying to acquire the ability to identify which tool to use in at any given time, or in a samurai’s case which weapon to use. The idea I love from this book is to never to become too fond of any one weapon. I take this to mean to constantly improve your knowledge and skills in using different tools, or simply put diversify your skills and your income streams, and never fall in love with any one of them. People should think about the amount of stock they put into their main source of income and how that could change in the future with a changing environment. This should be given careful consideration. Now let’s track progress.
10-day BS Refresh
The Opening NW in the 9/10/2020 column is the closing NW from the 8/31/2020 column. The green numbers represent estimated changes to my net worth in those categories (green numbers in 9/10 column are the changes that I estimated on 8/31). The white “Gain from” rows show how the actual numbers turned out compared to my original estimate, ten days prior. One can see I was projecting about a thousand increase in stocks over the last ten days but stocks caused me some pain, being down in reality about six thousand (or about seven thousand less than I projected). And not only did I put more money into Bitcoin as it was dropping from that 12k mark but it continued to go down after I bought. It hopefully will continue to climb since hitting around 10k.
One can see that my real estate holdings are almost reaching the level of my retirement accounts; Not only did I have about 4 thousand of loan paydown but my stocks went down. I continue to aggressively pay down the Michigan properties with an extra $3300 per month. I just have three more payments!
Ideas for increasing NW
- Get more traffic to websites. I just bought a book called Born to Blog. We’ll see if I get any nuggets from it.
- Start analyzing how affiliate programs really work.
- Reach out to at least 20 universities over the next ten days about the new book. I met with a buddy to go over the cover design and improve people’s ability to find the book through search key words. I really want to just release it but my buddy had some good points.
- I thank you for reading the post and if you liked it I hope you’ll subscribe to my email list. If you think someone may benefit from its information please pass it along. I want to help people and like interacting with people attacking this goal.
- If there are any topics you’d like me to research and report back on please let me know!
- If you want the excel workbook that I use to help me track just message at email@example.com. I’m also happy to go through any calculations. I don’t charge anything!
- Make Better Bets: https://www.amazon.com/Make-Better-Bets-Jack-Allweil/dp/1734895616/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=make+better+bets&qid=1590931460&sr=8-1